Monday, April 16, 2012


"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison


I have been using this as my mantra lately.  Unfortunately, my attention span is a-kin to that of a tsetse fly as of late.  I am an avid reader and average 3-5 books a week.  The VAST majority being paranormal romance.  Now, before you groan and move on to the next thread or blog; remember that no genre should be accepted or denied on the merits (or lack thereof) of a few.  There are a great many books, mostly romance, that I cannot push through.  I have forced myself to read some series-I'm not naming names-and had to put the books down halfway through.  If a story is crap and the plot is written around panting and heavy petting, you might as well turn on the Playboy channel or Skinamax.  However, and here's the stitch, there are so many that are wonderfully written.  Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my absolute favorites.  It's not Sun Tzu, but it isn't supposed to be.  It's a fun romp through an imaginary world that takes you out of your life for a while and puts you in a world unlike anything you have ever known or imagined...AND that is the POINT!  Whether you read Janet Evanovich, George R.R. Martin, or Steven King the point of reading is escapism and what I like to call brain play.  


So to get back to my point...I think I had one...yeah, yeah I did.


I read all of these books because that is what I like to read, and eventually may write.  The book I have written is a sci-fi/fantasy which could be considered a young adult novel.  My issue is that I think a good book works you over completely-like an emotional tornado.  At the end you have laughed, cried, been supremely pissed at someone and maybe even fallen in love with a character.  I want to finish my book and have everyone that reads it feel this way about my characters, my book, and my characters.  In the end, I suppose, I want to write the book that everyone has been searching for...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and/or respectful.