Saturday, November 10, 2012


For those that don’t know me outside of the social media sphere, you might have noticed that I’ve been a bit quiet lately.  Part of it has to do with the demands of school and family, but a bigger part of it has been caused by depression, anxiety, and a raging case of ADD. My focus has been steadily slipping through my fingers and it’s like trying to hold a glass of water in your open palm, sans glass. It’s nearly impossible and quite maddening.  I haven’t been able to read through a book from beginning to end, save for a friend’s incredible MS, since March of this year.  I’ve checked out about 50 different books from various authors I love, none of which were able to hold my attention for more than a few chapters at most.  

If you’re like me you value the escape and the wonderment that books give us.  I can view these parallel worlds that the authors create and slip away from my own troubles, even if it’s just for a few stolen hours or minutes.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my life and everything in it—save for the bills. But I digress. My point is that I haven’t had the escape and the pleasure of these worlds for many long months.  I haven’t had the pleasure of discovering new stories, or following the path of favorite characters I’ve come to love and depend on because of my scattered brain. 

That changed yesterday when I was having a particularly hard day.  It was one of those days where you just stop and have a good cry on the edge of your bed for no particular reason.  A thousand worries for things that you may or may not be able to change pressing upon your soul.  I picked up a book I had purchased a couple of months ago, Wicked As They Come.  I purchased this book after discovering the author, Delilah Dawson on Twitter. She is delightfully witty and an absolute joy so you need to go follow her as soon as you finish reading this.  

I do things a bit differently than most and I’ve discovered many incredible authors on Twitter and have subsequently purchased their books because I like them as people first.  Delilah is a shining example of that fact.  So in my sad sap condition I decided to try to read Wicked As They Come, though I had the dread feeling that this would be yet another failed attempt.

Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that not only did I get sucked in to the story, I fell madly in love with her main character, Leticia.  The story grabbed me by the throat and I willing let it drag me along.  I started it yesterday morning and finished it about 30 minutes ago. I couldn’t put it down. I even made my husband order Chinese so I wouldn’t have to make any decisions about what to cook and worry about burning it because I was transfixed by this wicked tale.  As I continued reading, I found I could breathe just a little easier, even though the story’s arc continually took my breath away.  If you’ve ever had the misfortune of loving to read, but been denied the pleasure for any amount of time perhaps you know what I’m talking about. 

Needless to say, I loved the book. I loved the characters and the world that Ms. Dawson created and I love her a little too for giving this gift to me.  Criminy Stain and the deadly little bludbunnies have me forever.  Wicked as They Come is delightfully unique and is a must read for anyone that enjoys fantasy, vampires, parallel universe travel, puppies, kittens, gin, vodka, or their grandmothers. Simply put this book gave me the ability to breathe again and I think you’d be a dunce not to try it too.

I apologize if any of this is rambling and incoherent. I drank an entire pot of coffee this morning to make up for the lack of sleep from staying up and reading last night.  I feel like a squirrel on crack and based on the looks my family is giving me, I most likely look and sound like one too.

Until next time,
Peace, sleep, and fuzzy little bludbunnies to all. <3

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Before I was diagnosed bipolar (in 1997), there was a period of several years where I couldn't read. I could hardly sit through a movie, let alone a novel. Even then, it took several years to find a medication balance that didn't leave me either like a zombie or too hyper to sit still.

    The first book I was able to read was Perfume by Patrick Suskind. I sat down one morning, and read it in one sitting, just like you did! After that, I started reading everything I could get my hands on. There's nothing worse than your own brain getting in the way of your best source of comfort in the world. I hope you're on the road to stability, and you can keep reading. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm SO happy to know that you're doing well now! I take your hugs and raise you a snurgle!

      Delete
  2. I HAVE noticed you've been gone and I haven't liked it ONE BIT! But I am super glad you've found a book that gave you That Feeling. <3 *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Feeaky!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have missed you so much too! Thank you for stopping by and giving me some virtual love! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  3. Oh, honey. I've been through those stretches, where you're so down you can't get the energy to care about anything. I can't tell you how much it means to me that Criminy was able to keep you company for a while. <3 Hugs, and I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Delilah! Your world of Sang and all the characters within it will forever be in my heart, and I appreciate your kindhearted words more than I can express. <3 <3 <3

      Delete

Please be kind and/or respectful.